Developing an understanding and appreciation of the health related benefits associated with physical activity and a healthy lifestyle is very important at Sherborne Girls. The school offers many opportunities for the girls to participate in a wide variety of fitness activities and classes. These classes include boxercise, zumba, yoga, spinning, pilates, bouldering and more.
A comprehensive competitive sports programme is also offered which utilises the schools excellent sporting facilities which include a 25m six lane swimming pool, 2 squash courts, 27 tennis courts (including grass courts), a newly surfaced floodlit astro pitch, grassed lacrosse pitches, climbing and bouldering walls and a superbly equipped fitness suite. All of these are located on site at the Oxley Sports Centre where the girls as full members have access to the facilities throughout the day, evening and weekend.
The school has an enviable reputation at lacrosse and hockey and the popularity of netball is growing rapidly. The number of girls representing the school in each of these sports is increasing and you will regularly see more than 140 girls playing hockey, 80 girls playing lacrosse and 80 girls involved in Netball each week.
Particular highlights from across the sports teams include:
- Our U18 first lacrosse team successfully won Division 2 of the 2015/16 Rathbones National Schools Lacrosse Championships.
- In 2016 a number of Sherborne Girls' students were selected into various England Regional Hockey Development Programmes.
- The tennis girls had a successful 2016 season winning 49 out of 53 matches.
- In 2016 we had swimmers qualifying for Olympic trials, The British Championships, and The National Open Water Championships.
- In the Target Sprint, a new event organised by British Shooting, six of our girls qualified for the National Finals.
Alongside the traditional competitive sports, the school also provides coaching and instruction and competition in events such as eventing, archery, fencing, climbing, dance and karate.
Our dedicated sports website contain details of all our Sports Fixtures and Results. Click on the link to access all sports information.
For cancellations on match days, please consult the sports website for updated information or telephone the School Office on 01935 812245 after 10.30am.
Please do browse our photo galleries to get a flavour of all our sporting activities.